[gnso-consensus-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] from the "creative solutions" department

• To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] from the "creative solutions" department
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:50:10 +0100

On 7 Jul 2008, at 08:24, Milton L Mueller wrote:

There is talk of “contracted parties.”
Am I the first person to recognize that the contracts that bind registries and registrars also regulate users? Most of the policy obligations flow down to users ultimately. In other words, domain name registrants are contracted parties as well.

all te more reason for paritiy - going in all directions.

How about including some user votes in the registry and registrar constituencies?

Structurally I believe there is an important reason to orient the SOs to registrant participants (not a difficult barrier) and the ACS to User interests with bidirectional liaisons of various types. While in many respects the issues may seem similar (IPR-Access to Knowledge), the underlying concerns are different. Also given te new underlying open WG mandate, at the basic policy discussion level - everyone will be able to participate.

I certainly believe this issue is wider then the GNSO council vote assignment - as it affects the entire structure of ICANN. I think there is fundamental importance in having full multistakeholder representations in both the registrant and user dimensions and I do not believe we should be chipping away at it.

If we keep going in this direction, I believe that next we will talking about Ry, R, C and NC constituency seats on ALAC.

a.

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy