ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] from the "creative solutions" department part 2

  • To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] from the "creative solutions" department part 2
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 10:03:05 +0100

On 7 Jul 2008, at 09:30, Philip Sheppard wrote:

If we are being creative.

1. Users versus registrants ?
I understand the terminolo

gy but do not understand the difference with respect to GNSO policy.

Registrants have some sort of contractual relationship with ICANN or with one of ICANN's contracted parties for domain names.

Users use domain names but don't necessariyl buy them.

the perspectives are different in respect to policy.

I do not sure discussing a difference is helpful.

Perhaps. as long as we respect the difference we don't need to discuss it. if we are going to obviate the difference, then I believe we must discuss it to understand what we will doing to the fundamental structure of ICANN.

Certainly the joint users proposal was specifically called just that.

But we did not all accept the logic of that proposal. I, for one, still do not.

Acknowledging that the commercial and the non-commercial groups would BOTH include users, registrants and individuals.

While the class of users and registrants overlaps, I believe that the constituencies should focus on registrants.

a.