ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] Nom Comm appointee roles

  • To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] Nom Comm appointee roles
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 23:27:41 -0400

Hi,

In one statement you are highly offended that I refer to NCUC as ICANN insiders yet in another you say that nomcom apintees are picked by:

I would like for you to explain to me what makes Nomcom appointees less
"insiders" than the user constituencies, when they are heavily vetted
and selected in secret by people who have been appointed by, well, ICANN
insiders! (i.e., specially selected representatives of GNSO
constituencies, the Board, ALAC, etc.)

including, I will point out NCUC constituency members

I submit that your argument is self contradictory.

--

the following was contributed by Olga when I gave a report of what was going on in the meeting (no names or constituencies were referenced - as per our agreement)

I would like to add something I already posted in the public comments space in relation with the new travel policy and that resumes, at least from my view and perspective, our role as noncomm appointees.

This was said to me by ICANN and in this respect I accepted the position and committed my work, time and effort:

"A noncom appointee is someone that serves in key leadership positions within the ICANN structure".
This means that we must also work participate and vote in the GNSO.

"Noncom Appointee´s participation seeks and supports broad, informed participation reflecting the functional, geographic and cultural diversity of the Internet at all policy development and decision- making." "Noncom appointees are challenged to use their knowledge, experience, and open-mindedness to develop creative responses to the dilemmas that arise when diverse needs of Internet users, technical possibilities and limitations of the Internet's unique identifier systems, and challenges and opportunities of the competitive business environment interact with each other and with evolving laws and governmental policies."

For these reasons, Noncom Appointees should be present in face to face meetings in order to maintain their role of independent voices and representatives of broad participation, with geographic and cultural diversity, in the Internet policy development and decision- making.

If Noncom Appointee´s do not work and vote within the Supporting Organizations, their role of representatives of the broad community into ICANN´s policy making process, including regional and gender balance, will be diminished or even will disappear.

a.