ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Proposal for discussion July 17

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] Proposal for discussion July 17
  • From: "Milton L Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:03:31 -0400

Chuck:
I think the horse has left the barn and you are talking about closing
the barn door a bit late. ICANN is deeply into intellectual property
protection, competition policy, regulation of expression, as well as
'consumer protection.' Interest groups and governments will use the most
convenient lever at their disposal to solve policy problems and if icann
appears to be the most convenient lever it will be used. Those of us
wanting ti limit ICANN's mission lost the battle in 1998.

Thus, to ask consumer protection advocates NOT to get involved when
everyone else is already pursuing whatever agenda they can think can be
addressed using icann's authority seems a bit arbitrary.

Consumer protectionn orgs are already part of NCUC and part of ALAC.
(And they don't need a separate "constituency" to do so, because
consumer protection agendas are often closely related to, e.g., privacy
concerns, competition concerns, and technical issues.) More will get
involved.

Indeed, I am getting one of those schizophrenia-inducing mixed messages
here.

Gods of ICANN: "NCUC, you are insufficiently representative go out and
get more NGOs interested in domain name policy!"
NCUC: "OK, here's a bunch of consumer protection orgs that want to get
involved."
Gods: "er, well, cough, that has nothing to do with what we do."
NCUC: "hmm, well, these customer groups complaining about domain name
prices that you set in your contracts or scam registrar practices don't
seem to think so. How about these Iranian religious groups upset about
Internet porn?"