ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] An alternative proposal for GNSO Structure

  • To: <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] An alternative proposal for GNSO Structure
  • From: "Milton L Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 14:26:40 -0400

It's a good point, but if we go down this road Nomcom should be
instructed to pick someone whose current interests/passions center more
on commercial or noncommercial problems/issues/approaches, and not ask
"are you now or have you ever been...." It is not background, but
current propensity that matters. John Gilmore made a fortune in
computers but founded the EFF. I'd be happy to have him as a Nomcom
appointee to GNSO. ;-)
Maybe we should consider a mechanism similar to the Chair: Nomcom
provides a list of nominess and the nocommercial groups vote on the
noncommercial ones and the commercial groups vote on the commercial
ones.

Milton Mueller
Professor, Syracuse University School of Information Studies
XS4All Professor, Delft University of Technology
Internet Governance Project:
http://internetgovernance.org