ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

[gnso-consensus-wg] ALAC statement regarding Philip's latest proposal

  • To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-consensus-wg] ALAC statement regarding Philip's latest proposal
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 07:49:18 -0400

Philip has posted a new proposal for GNSO structure. Although this was not posted implying ALAC support, since we were part of the original joint proposal I think it is appropriated to comment.

To start, I will reiterate that ALAC still supports parity (that is, equal votes) between the commercial and non-commercial stakeholders groups.

That being said, there are several issues that we have some problems with.

- The document makes reference to "the full integration of at-large structures". An "At-Large Structure" is the base layer of the ICANN At-Large pyramid upon which the RALOs and ALAC are built. Each ALS is an independent organization which ultimately may choose to join a NC constituency, just as some ALSs are ISOC chapters, and others are part of other umbrella groups. But this is NOT a target of having a user presence in the GNSO. To be acceptable to the ALAC, the wording must be changed to the more general "user groups" or "user constituencies" and most definitely must not imply or make it easy for anyone to infer that we are trying to make part of the ALAC/At-Large organization an integral part of a GNSO constituency. To coin a phrase, we find "at-large structures" confusingly similar to terms already in use.

- The document makes reference to a "root and branch reorganization" of the non-commercial group. We would like more clarity in what is being requested. ALAC expectations are that whatever the structure, it will be possible for like-minded people or groups to participate in the Non-commercial stakeholders group, with reasonable access to Council seats and votes, the ability to submit what are now "constituency statements" to Council and working groups representing what they believe are the needs and points-of-view of their members/constituents, and to be represented on working groups and other policy development bodies. The term "reasonable" in the preceding statement will surely be difficult to define as the number and variety of non-commercial user groups grow, but the number of Council seats and votes remain constant, but our expectation is that this all groups within the SG will be involved in the solution to this.

- We need to make it explicitly clear that for at least the NCSG, we are talking about users and not just registrants. The current By-laws refers to "Non-Commercial Users (representing the full range of non-commercial entity users of the Internet)". This definition must be maintained, and not changed to "Non-commercial Registrants" as dictated by the BGC proposal.

- As we have all along, ALAC advocates the continued presence of voting NomCom appointees on the GNSO Council. ALAC still advocates. This may change over the coming years as the SG groups mature and are successful in outreach. But prior to that actual success, we do not believe it is appropriated to drop voting NomCom councillors.