ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

[gnso-consensus-wg] RyC Position

  • To: <gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consensus-wg] RyC Position
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:16:18 -0400

Key Arguments for Voting Parity

1.      Registries and registrars have signed agreements committing
themselves to implement consensus policies sight unseen, and they
negotiated this commitment with an understanding that they would have
parity of voting rights with non-contracted parties.  Changing that
condition would be a material change to the basis upon which we agreed
to abide by consensus policies.
2.      We fully support the BGC WG recommendation that the GNSO in its
policy development process should move away from an emphasis on voting
to a rough consensus approach, we believe that goal is achievable and we
will constructively contribute to make that happen.  More important,
there may still be issues for which voting is the only way to achieve
finality.  In that context, the risk of any movement away from voting
parity between contracted and non-contracted parties is unacceptable.

Chuck