ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] New GNSO Reform Concept

• To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] New GNSO Reform Concept
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 09:33:24 -0400

Hi,

they are a way at looking at what happens in various models within the bicameral system. and a way to check my understanding.

If I understand Milton's explanation of Steve's variant of Jon's model, each of the chambers would decide on its own, how many representatives would vote within their chamber. Except of course for the nomcom appointees that are restricted to one each.

So in Jon's basic model (4,4,1) each Stakeholder Group (SG) would have 44% (4/9)% of the vote in their chamber and 22% of the total vote 50-(4/9)% while each nomcom appointee would have 11.11% of the chamber and 5.56% of the whole.

The second model is what would happen if one of the chamber decided that each of the SGs had 6 votes while nomcom remained 1 vote. The we see that within that chamber the SG would have 46% of the vote and the nomcom appointee would have 7.59%. They would also have a greater percentage of the total vote 23% while the nomcom appointee would go down to 3.85%.

Another unforeseen property of allowing each of the chambers to decide on SG percentage independently means that the nomcom person in one chamber would have a greater voice then the nomcom person in another chamber. How does one decide which nomcom appointee gets the lesser vote?

As I said, I am not passing judgement at this point, just trying to understand the numerical properties of the model.

An updated spread sheet with % total of the whole vote added.

Attachment: 2chamber-percent.xls
Description:

a.

On 18 Jul 2008, at 08:52, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

Avri,

I do not understand the examples in the spreadsheet. Do the various
models stand for proposals that have been put forward or are they
hypothetical models? Are they all supposed to represent variations of the bicameral approach? Are the SG's in each model for just one house?
The user house?

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:owner-gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Avri Doria
Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 8:10 AM
To: gnso-consensus-wg@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [gnso-consensus-wg] New GNSO Reform Concept

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

In Jon's model, as I understand it   both chambers as 4,4,1
whereas in
Steve's model it can vary - each chamber is really free to do