ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consensus-wg]

RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] GNSO Consensus Current Thinking

  • To: <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>, "Nevett, Jonathon" <jnevett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consensus-wg] GNSO Consensus Current Thinking
  • From: "Milton L Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:59:56 -0400

summary.

I agree with Jon, we need to discuss the specifics to reach closure.

> Also, the BC does not support an imposed non com chair - we prefer an
> elected chair with majority of both houses

I suggest that you consider yielding on this, as an elected chair is not
acceptable to at least three other constituencies on this WG.
While I share your rejection of Avri's wholly invented concept that
appointment by the Nomcom somehow gives people a special relationship to
advancing "the public interest," I do agree that they are independent of
the constituencies. If ever there were a need for independence of the
constituencies it is in the chair position. I see no terrible
inconsistency between a Nomcom appointed chair and BC's position on
Nomcom generally.

Keep in mind that without agreement among this group, your reversion
point is likely to be the BGC majority position, which you have rejected
as unacceptable.