ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

[gnso-consumercci-dt] RE: WHOIS Review - consumer definition

  • To: Rosemary Sinclair <rosemary.sinclair@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-consumercci-dt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consumercci-dt] RE: WHOIS Review - consumer definition
  • From: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 09:17:52 -0700

Hi Rosemary,

Margie is out having knee surgery so I will share what I know.  The Whois
Review Team was asked to review WHOIS policy and its implementation to assess
the extent to which WHOIS policy is effective and its implementation meets the
legitimate needs of law enforcement and promotes consumer trust, so you are
right, the Review Team spent some time discussing what is meant by "consumer
trust" and how to assess it.  I know that the group did discuss several
possible definitions of consumer trust, but I am not sure that they settled on
a particular definition.

My understanding is that instead they decided to  engage an independent
consumer research organization to undertake data collection and analysis of
consumer trust as it relates to the commitment to provide unrestricted and
public access to accurate and complete WHOIS information.  Here is a link to
the announcement:
http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-10jul11-en.htm

More information about the current work of the Whois Review Team can be found
here:  https://community.icann.org/display/whoisreview/WHOIS+Policy+Review+Team.

I hope this is helpful.  Emily Taylor is the Review Team Chair and may be able
to provide additional insights. I can provide contact information should you
wish to reach out to her.

Best regards, Liz