ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

[gnso-consumercci-dt] Comments to draft v2 of advice on CCI

  • To: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Comments to draft v2 of advice on CCI
  • From: Tobias Mahler <tobias.mahler@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 19:01:37 +0100

Steve, all,

I would like to thank Steve for the excellent document he has circulated. Please find attached an version with my comments. I have primarily attempted to edit the document in order to improve its readability (although the document was already very clear). In addition, I suggested some minor amendments.

Since I am relatively new to this group, and to the ICANN community, I should perhaps briefly introduce myself. I am Research Fellow at the University of Oslo, Norway. Some of you may know my colleague Jon Bing, who served on the GNSO council a few years ago. I teach IT law, such as Electronic Communications Law (i.e., European sector-specific competition law). Although I joined this group fairly recently, I did participate in the discussions in Singapore and Dakar.

In my view, the document indicates that the group has made a lot of progress. At the same time I think there is some room for improvement. In particular, the distinction between competition and consumer choice could be made clearer. I believe it would be useful to base the understanding and measures for competition more clearly the economic theory of competition. As you know, this also forms the conceptual basis for competition laws. I am aware of the fact that this group may have closed such discussions. However, if we fail to address this issue now, it may return to us later, e.g., from the GAC and national competition agencies. I would be happy to expand on this during a later call, if the issue is not completely closed.

Best regards,

Tobias

--
Tobias Mahler, PhD
Norwegian Research Center for Computers and Law (NRCCL)