ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

Re: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Final Version - CTCCC Advice Leter

  • To: "Michael R. Graham" <mgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Final Version - CTCCC Advice Leter
  • From: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 13:38:36 -0500

I can understand how industry would want to eliminate measurements that
would be embarrassing, by obsessing with contractual distinctions between
categories of TLDs that are not apparent to the public. That ICANN is seen
to be beholden to its industry's manipulation of metrics to avoid
perception of failure is understandable, if completely transparent in its
self-interest. But that's not the biggie.

The biggest dealbreaker for me, though, is the move from audits (objective,
moderately easy to measure) to determinations of "understanding" (highly
subjective, expensive to administare well, nearly impossible to protect
from bias). Such a major last-minute modification renders a substantial
portion of the metrics effectively useless (and IMO is worse than doing no
metrics at all).

--
Evan Leibovitch
Toronto Canada