ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-consumercci-dt]

RE: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Final Version - CTCCC Advice Leter

  • To: Evan Leibovitch <evan@xxxxxxxxx>, Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-consumercci-dt] Final Version - CTCCC Advice Leter
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 16:24:53 -0500

Evan,

When you boil it down, you are measuring whether someone did or did not do
something you never asked or required them to do in the first place.   The
Guidebook was supposed to set forth all of the obligations of a registry
operator.  It should only be modified through the consensus policy process, and
not through this review process.  It is unfair to audit anyone or use that
information to judge anyone on whether they did or not do something that was
never required of them.

You also talk about the real world outside our bubble and I think that is
helpful to discuss.  But do you honestly thing that the real world cares
whether a .neustar has a page up on its main site its policies and
restrictions.  Not at all.  They want to know who they are dealing with, how to
contact them, about the products and services, etc.  The fact that they can or
cannot get a domain registration in .neustar will never even cross the mind of
the ordinary consumer in the real world.

I didn’t suggest the term understanding, but it is the best alternative we
could come up with.  A .neustar should NOT have to disclose its potential
benefits (as a TLD) or its policy restrictions on who can get a .neustar name.
It makes no sense to do so in the real world.  A consumer would just know that
it could not get a .neustar domain name.  No registrar would be offering
it…neustar would not be advertising it….etc.  They would just understand that
to be the case.

To impose a disclosure requirement, or audit whether the policies are disclosed
(which in my mind is exactly the same thing), is not something that is in the
Guidebook and does not reflect in the real world what a consumer really would
care about in the Brand TLDs or even Brand Keyword TLDs.

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs