ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois]

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] 02/13 Subteam Meeting

  • To: "gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] 02/13 Subteam Meeting
  • From: Don Blumenthal <dblumenthal@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 21:25:07 -0500

Thanks in advance to all who can attend our kick off session, and
understanding to those who have to miss it. Much of my PIR existence seems
to be spent spent juggling conflicting obligations.

I'd like our initial focus tomorrow to be on looking at what issues we
should and shouldn't be examining as a general policy. Answers such as "we
don't have to worry about it" on any question that's in scope will wait
until later. :) I'm not suggesting any conclusions but that seems to be
the thrust of many comments on the general list. It's probably also
worthwhile to identify subteam members' particular areas of data
protection and privacy expertise and interest.

To start the discussion, I'll raise the construct that I posted a few days
ago:

Does requiring a move from a thin to a thick registry raise issues
concerning 1) data loss through hack or inadvertent disclosure or 2)
clashes with data protection laws? Both questions need to be considered
during transfer and when the data is in the registry's Whois.

Talk to you tomorrow.

Don