ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois]

[gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] MP3 & Attendees - 20.03.13 / Privacy and data protection sub-team

  • To: Privacy and Data Protection Thick WHOIS <gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dataprotection-thickwhois] MP3 & Attendees - 20.03.13 / Privacy and data protection sub-team
  • From: Gisella Gruber <Gisella.Gruber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 15:56:39 -0700

Dear All,

Please find hereafter the MP3 recording of today's Privacy and Data
Protection sub-team as well as the participants and AC Chat Transcript.

http://ftp.adigo.com/clients/icann/20130320_Thick_WHOIS.zip

Attendees: Don Blumenthal, Roy Balleste, Marie-Laure Lemineur, Alan
Greenberg, Susan Prosser, Steve Metalitz, Amr Elsadr

Apologies: Carlton Samuels

Staff: Marika Konings, Berry Cobb, Gisella Gruber

Please note the next call is scheduled on Wednesday 27 March 2013 at 2000
UTC (1300 PDT, 1600 EDT, 2100 CET).

Thank you.
Kind regards,
Gisella

Adobe Connect Chat:

  Berry Cobb:Welcome to 'thick' Whois Privacy/Protection Sub-Team Meeting -
  Marika Konings:Hello all, I'll be joining the call a bit later as I have a
conflict for the first 30 minutes.
  Marie-laure Lemineur:Too bad we need you!
  Marika Konings::-) I'll be there as soon as I can
  Gisella Gruber-White:Susan Prosser and Steve Metalitz will be late
  Alan Greenberg:Marika, I hope the conflict at 9 pm is a personal one and
not a competing conference call!
  Don::)
  Marika Konings:I'm afraid it is a competing call :-(
  Gisella Gruber-White:sorry got cut off!
  Gisella Gruber-White:Berry - you can start - was just announcing staff
  Alan Greenberg:IN that case, I hope you get overtime pay!
  Alan Greenberg:I admit I have not yet read them...
  Gisella Gruber-White:Back thanks
  Marika Konings:Joining now - other call finished really quickly!
  Don:Not surprising. I'll do them sooner next week.
  Roy Balleste:Don, read your comments.  Look good to me.
  Berry Cobb:From the Stability Report.....
  Berry Cobb:Possible downsides for stability in a Œthick¹ Whois
environmentSome WG participants are of the view that having personal data at
multiple sites makes that data more susceptible to attack or misuse . This
issue is addressed in the section on privacy and data protection. Some WG
participants notes that there may be an increased risk of inconsistencies by
having four copies of the data, while others pointed out that this risk can
be mitigated by making use of multi-master replication  .
  Marika Konings:@Marie-Laure, it may be of interest to include a link to
that report and note that increased risk does not necessarily equal more
harm.
  Marika Konings:in relation to this issue
  Marie-laure Lemineur:sure I´ll send the link..I have a hard copy right now
  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome Susan
  Gisella Gruber-White:and Welcome Steve
  Amr Elsadr:Hi..., just joined the call. Apologies for arriving late.
  Gisella Gruber-White:Welcome Amr
  Marika Konings:The original EU data protection directive is from 1995 if I
am not mistaken
  Roy Balleste:Marika, you are correct.
  Don:Correct on original guidelines. Laws didn't come into effect until
later over a long period.
  Berry
Cobb:http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/accreditation/model-privac
y-policy
  Marie-laure
Lemineur:http://www2.lse.ac.uk/media@lse/research/EUKidsOnline/EU%20Kids%20I
I%20(2009-11)/EUKidsOnlineIIReports/Final%20report.pdfp.30 and 31
  Marie-laure Lemineur:report from LSE online risks and harm
  Marika Konings:Also, an article estimates that any reform / new directives
would at the earliest enter into force in 2015
(seehttp://www.deloitte.com/view/en_CH/ch/services/audit/regulatorycomplianc
eandlegal/74c9b8d745f36310VgnVCM1000001956f00aRCRD.htm)
  Berry Cobb:,org 2004
  Marika Konings:and still need to be agreed upon by the different parties
involved (European Parliament, Member States, European Commission)
  Amr Elsadr:Thanks Steve. That seems accurate. The 1995 EU Directive on
Data Protection is clear though on cross border transfer of personal data
(articles 56, 57 and 58).
  Amr
Elsadr:http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CELEX:31995L004
6:en:HTML
  Marika Konings:In relation to the 'other PDP' that Alan referred to, you
may be interested in commenting on this Preliminary Issue Report that will
feed into the PDP that is expected to address the broader Whois
questions:https://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/gtld-registration-dat
a-15mar13-en.htm
  Amr Elsadr:Thnx. I had missed the question.
  Amr Elsadr:Don't really have an answer right now!! :)
  Susan Prosser:+1 Steve
  Marie-laure Lemineur:fine
  Amr Elsadr:thanks Don
  Marie-laure Lemineur:thank you