ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Question for Internet Service Provider constituency members regarding customer information

  • To: "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Question for Internet Service Provider constituency members regarding customer information
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:10:35 -0500

Bruce, as someone who until recently worked for a Tier 1/with a retail ISP,
I appreciate the interest. ISPs are a very different "SPECIES", since in
many countries, the ISP is "authorized", if not licensed....in other
countries, not. Some serve small numbers of subscribers; others large
numbers; some have infrastructure; some don't; some charge a monthly fee;
others don't.  And so on.....

Some countries have specific laws about ISP services, including a safe
harbor for notice and take down of copyright material, child pornography,
etc. Some countries have self governance approaches, with a reliance on
basic business law...  ISPs are usually required to pay taxes where they
have "nexus"... there are many differences as well as some similarities to
registrars.....

Of course, some ISPs are also part of the registrar world...... in some
small part of their overall business... where this occurs, it is usually a
small business line... among many...

I think we should perhaps, IF there is interest in having an informed and
balanced discussion about the ISP "world", ask the appropriate constituency
itself to help to organize and contribute to such a discussion. However,
this should be PART of the work of the TF, not undertaken separately, it
would seem to me. Given that we are "learning" and inviting experts in, the
ISP members on the TF can help to do outreach and develop a panel of ISPs
that may have different footprints/and come from different countries.

There are of course, some similarities between ISPs and registrars, and some
ISPs act as registrars. ISPs vary -- some have infrastructure; others are
"ESPs", such as Yahoo, MSN, etc. And some are largely business oriented,
such as AGNS, while others are retail oriented -- e.g. largely consumer
oriented.

Thus, this group can be added into the group of invited "presentors"....
Otherwise, we get a random and not thorough response by just polling the TF
itself.