ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Revised draft

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Revised draft
  • From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 17:23:12 +0200

Ross Rader ha scritto:
In Tim's defense, I submit that he will be among those registrars that
are disadvantaged by this policy. Registrars in privacy friendly
jurisdictions like Tucows will gain the right to provide privacy
enhanced services that Godaddy cannot.

I (being, by the way, a satisfied Godaddy customer since a long time ago) understand Tim's concerns - I have no doubts that there would be customers who would transfer their domains to registrars located in privacy-friendly countries (basically, any developed country except the United States) just to get their data protected.

At the same time, I really don't think that competition should be a relevant factor to this discussion. In all markets, legal and regulatory environments play a role to make national companies more or less competitive on a global scale; this is not a scandal to anyone, nor I see anyone asking, say, to exclude American or Chinese companies from the global manufacturing market because the lower cost of labour granted by these countries makes them more competitive than European ones.

So, unless what we aim for is a balkanized domain names market with tariffs on international transactions (which could as well be a possible European reply to all this discussion), I think that we should just accept that different environments have different effects on the products supplied by different players; nor does ICANN have any mandate or authority to evaluate or compensate such differences. In fact, it is ICANN that is distorting global competition by preventing European registrars from offering the product their customers want (and their laws require).

But I think that we don't even need to enter into that discussion: all in all, if the market wants privacy, the only reasonable thing that the supply side could do is provide it. I still don't understand why we all have to waste so much time to prevent that from happening.
--
vb. [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<-----
http://bertola.eu.org/ <- Prima o poi...