ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Revised draft

  • To: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Revised draft
  • From: Thomas Keller <tom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 18:17:17 +0200

Ross,

I can understand that there is a strong view that no one should
be able to gain a competitive advantage depending on what region
he comes from but unfortunaly that is not the way the world works.
Even without ICANN there are already enough differences like the
amount of tax a company has to pay or to charge to customers, the
ease of establishing a company under local law... that make the
international playing field uneven and it is always up to ones
own decision (at least in theory) to choose the right conditions
for ones own business. I often heard the argument that a company
that can't comply should simply move to a place where it can.
This argument could be reversed by saying that a registrar who
would like to have the same advantage as registrars out of other
areas could simply move there and have the same conditions. The
fun thing is that this is always regarded as "forum shopping" which
makes me wonder whether trying to avoid that registrars comply whith
their local regulations is not also some kind of "forum shopping" since
it tries to preserve the current status which might create a disadvantage
for these registrars.

One other aspect is that it is generally assumed that local privacy
regulations will be an advantage for registrars operating under those
regulations. It might very well be an disadvantage due to the fact
that it imposes costs on the registrar to achieve what is demanded
by the regulation or that he misses an opportunity to upsell privacy
services since such practise is not permisable.

As you can see however you turn it someone might assume a advantage
or disadvantage and I guess that is a catch-22 we will never be able to
solve. Therefore creating a clear process that deals with such a situation
(which  will come up inevitable, no matter how policy will look like) in the
future makes a lot of sence to me since it provides a minimum standard
in terms of predictability and transparency.

Best,

tom

Am 03.05.2005 schrieb Ross Rader:

Gruss,

tom

(__)
(OO)_____
(oo)    /|\     A cow is not entirely full of
  | |--/ | *    milk some of it is hamburger!
  w w w  w