ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Note to council on Notice recommendation

  • To: jordyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Note to council on Notice recommendation
  • From: KathrynKL@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 22:25:19 EDT

Jordyn:
In light of the discussion today, I think we should go forward with this
letter to the Council as we agreed.  I would like to withdraw my suggestion
regarding delaying or tabling the recommendation.  I think it would be best  to
return this item to the Task Force for clearer commentary on the intent of  the
task force (and evaluation of impact).

Regards,
Kathy

Dear  Bruce:

In discussions of the Whois TF this week, a concern was raised  that
the current proposal relating to improving notice to  registrants
regarding the use of their contact details in the Whois  system may be
viewed as a waiver of registrants privacy  rights.  It was not the
intent of the task force that the  recommendation act as any sort of
waiver, but this was not an issue  that we considered during the work
of the task force.  We do  believe that this is an important issue,
however, and believe that  it would be premature for the Council to
adopt the policy  recommendations without considering it.  As a
result, I am  writing to request that the Council either:

a) Refer the recommendation  back to the Task Force for further
consideration of this specific  issue; alternatively, the Council may
want to consider this specific  issue itself, or