ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Purpose of Whois : Types of problems

  • To: <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Purpose of Whois : Types of problems
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 18:02:33 -0400

Marilyn, the BC statement is a model of procedural rectitude. Very well
organized and does everything the PDP asks us to do. No need to
apologize for being late when you do that thorough a job.

In the spirit of carrying on online discussions, let me address a few
points about the BC's position.

1. Your statements says that ICANN is "require[d]" or "mandated" to do
certain things by the R.A.A. But my understanding is that these task
forces can and will alter the R.A.A. in accord with any policies we can
reach consensus on. So a policy discussion that seeks justification by
invoking the current R.A.A. seems circular to me. If I misunderstand
this, someone please correct me.

2. The statement says, "ICANN's responsibility for stability and
security are highly relevant to an accurate Whois."

a. Surely we all agree that the Whois data should be "accurate" to
fulfill its purpose. But the real issue is what (accurate) data is
needed to fulfill its purpose and what that purpose is. I don't see
answers to those questions here.

b. As you know, I believe that mischief can be done by taking the term
"stability and security" out of context. ICANN is not responsible for
the stability and security of anything and everything. E.g., the
government of Iraq is, I think, out of scope. We need to specify what
ICANN is responsible for the stability and security _of_, and how the
data collected and displayed is required to fulfill that purpose.

>>> "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx> 08/23/05 1:11 PM >>>
Dear Jordyn and fellow TF members,

Attached is the BC final statement on WHOIS purpose and contacts. Sorry
be late in providing it to you.

Best regards, Marilyn Cade, David Fares and Sarah Deutsch

  _____