ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] Purpose of Whois : Types of problems

  • To: "'Milton Mueller'" <Mueller@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] Purpose of Whois : Types of problems
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 22:04:34 -0400

We are indeed in agreement that ICANN is not responsible for world peace.
:-)

I have thought we could leave the UN in charge of that, and then I noticed
that while not doing a great job on world peace, world hunger, and various
other really important issues, some governments seem to want them to take on
management and oversight of the Internet.

WHEW.

I'd like to leave them in charge of world peace, bringing clean water to
desert areas of the world, helping tsunami victims, and oh, yeah, world
hunger. ....

I don't want them in charge of Internet, or any technology issues....

Might be a personal bias of mine, but then, I think it is an "informed
view".

They have a lot of work to do on the issues that only they can address...
So, I do think that our work at ICANN is the "place" to do this work. Thus,
I welcome your email.

Having said that, the BC has a view about the scope of the work of the TF.

We are happy to discuss the terms stability and security... and the scope
and scale of that discussion deserves full attention, and even the
participation/by invitation - of our TF chair to the chair of the SSAC in an
"informal" discussion.

As to purpose, we understand that there are differences of view. And it is
important to close the gaps on those views to the extent possible -- because
in the long run, registrants/users [and the BC represents a number of users]
need certainty and clarity. ...Not committing to agree with you on your
views, but only on a dialogue to create better understanding-even if it is a
better understanding of differences.. It is a better understanding.  :-)