ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] RE: Citation in IPC background paper

  • To: "David Maher" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>, "Steven J. Metalitz IIPA" <metalitz@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] RE: Citation in IPC background paper
  • From: "Steve Metalitz" <metalitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:52:24 -0400

David,

Your posting below seems to be based on a misreading of the IPC
background paper.  We do not cite to the Article 29 Working Party paper
"as support for the proposition that the EC is in favor of public
availability of private personal data."  Our background paper does not
assert that proposition and we do not cite the Article 29 Working Party
paper for it.  Rather we quote from that paper an assertion it makes
about "the original purpose of the Whois database" and we explain why we
disagree with it.  The registry constituency has stated that it agrees
with the Working Party paper on this point and we would certainly be
interested to know its reasons for doing so.  Our reasons for
disagreeing are fully stated in the background paper.

I do not agree with you that our paper "distorts the views of the EC."
It does not even present the views of the European Commission on the
issue of Whois.  (Nor can a paper of the Article 29 Working Party
accurately be characterized as containing the "views of the EC" on this
issue.) Rather the IPC background paper presents our analysis of the
European Union legal principles that may be applicable.  Of course you
may disagree with this analysis and I would certainly be interested in
the reasons why.   Needless to say we reject your characterization of
the background paper as "deceptive,"  and we have no intention of
withdrawing it.

Steve Metalitz