ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Proposed revision #2

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Proposed revision #2
  • From: "David W. Maher" <dmaher@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:25:02 -0500

"may use...as a means" is hardly an institutionalization. I can't believe that we are so ignorant of tiered access.
David

At 02:13 PM 8/31/2005, Ross Rader wrote:

I think we should leave all possible resolutions open, but to
institutionalize one specific one that we have no real understanding of
doesn't seem prudent.

On 31/08/2005 2:30 PM David W. Maher noted that;
> As stated in the preamble:
> "The Task Force believes that there is an ongoing risk of conflict
> between a registrar's or registry's legal obligations under local
> privacy laws and their contractual obligations to ICANN.  TF2 Report,
> Section 2.3,
> http://www.gnso.icann.org/issues/whois-privacy/Whois-tf2-preliminary.html.
>
> We are looking for procedures to reduce or eliminate the conflict. If we
> restrict ourselves to making all (or some) data publicly available, or
> concealing all (or some) data, we will never reach a consensus. Tiered
> access as a concept is an obvious way forward to find some consensus to
> solve this problem.
> David
>

> At 11:55 AM 8/31/2005, Ross Rader wrote:
>
> On 30/08/2005 5:08 PM Jordyn A. Buchanan noted that;
>> This proposal is from the Registry Constituency.  It would add an
>> additional paragraph to the end of the policy recommendation, as
> follows:
>
>> 3) Registrars and registries may use tiered access as a means of
>> complying with local legal requirements when applicable.
>
> We've not had any discussions regarding tiered access. It would be
> appropriate to eliminate this from the draft and keep this discussion
> off the table until we are in a position to deal with the technical and
> policy issues surrounding the proposal.
>
> --
> --
> Regards,
>

>                        -rwr
>

>                 "Every contrivance of man, every tool, every instrument,
>                  every utensil, every article designed for use, of each
>                  and every kind, evolved from very simple beginnings."
>                         - Robert Collier
>

> Got Blog? http://www.blogware.com
> My Blogware: http://www.byte.org

- --