ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Edits to Introduction & Background

  • To: maggie.mansourkia@xxxxxxx, gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Edits to Introduction & Background
  • From: KathrynKL@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:25:01 EDT

Maggie:
Thanks for pointing this out.  The Editor did not highlight the full scope of
the changes.  Because Task 5 was so important, I want to move its discussion
to the prior paragraph.   Also, before we cite the full text of #5 TOR, I
thought (for ease of reading,) we should summarize its upfront and then list
the
TOR text.  So I moved the text and spirit of the deleted line up a few
sentences.

Feel free to edit, but here is how I would recommend that the paragraphs
read:

"On February 17, 2005, the WHOIS task forceâs 1, 2 and 3 were combined into a
single, combinedWHOIS Task Force. (
http://www.gnso.icann.org/meetings/minutes-gnso-17feb05.shtml) The combined
WHOIS task force was chartered by the GNSO
Council with terms of reference and set of tasks on 2nd June 2005 that required
it to conclude its work on the âconflictsâ policy recommendation:
(5) Determine how to resolve differences between a Registered Name Holder's,
gTLD Registrar's, or gTLD Registry's obligation to abide by all applicable
laws and governmental regulations that relate to the [no line break]
WHOIS service, as well as the obligation to abide by the terms of the
agreements with ICANN that relate to the WHOIS service. [Note this task refers
to the
current work in the WHOIS task force called 'Recommendation 2', A Procedure
for conflicts, when there are conflicts between a registrar's of registry's
legal obligations under local privacy laws and their contractual obligations to
ICANN.]â http://gnso.icann.org/policies/terms-of-reference.html.";

[new paragraph] Accordingly, ÂTask force members continued to develop the
recommendation through June 2005. The task force voted on May 24, 2005 to
divide
its work into a recommendation for consensus policy accompanied by advice for
a procedure.  Constituency statements on the recommendation were solicited by
21 July 2005.

OK?
Regards,
Kathy