ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Far off list topic, but still worth posting here

  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Far off list topic, but still worth posting here
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:32:41 -0400

Bret Fausett wrote:

First on the education, speaking on behalf of the ALAC, I think we'd be
interested in having a larger conversation with the registrars and the
registrant interests in the GSNO (Business, Non-Commercial) about ways to
educate users about the use and deletion of domain names. Perhaps a FAQ
could be created jointly and distributed on the ICANN web site, with
customer-facing links at the registrar point of sale.

There's only so much education that can take place inside ICANN, but I'd be happy to help make sure that everyone in the tent has the benefit of such a conversation. Outside of ICANN, these types of conversations need to happen at a variety of levels - between registrars and their customers, by consumer protection agencies and advocates, etc. This isn't a policy question per se, but certainly an area where we could use the assistance of staff to help us get the word out.

Second, on the service, I think there's some sum that registrants would be willing to pay to kill a name forever. Worth considering.

All registrars already offer this. All a registrant needs to do is pay their annual registration fee and point their domain name at a nameserver that has no record for the name. :)

--

                       -rr

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info: Ross Rader Director, Research & Innovation Tucows Inc. c. 416.828.8783

Get Started? http://start.tucows.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org