ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [gnso-dow123] Far off list topic, but still worth posting here

• To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Far off list topic, but still worth posting here
  • Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 17:12:50 -0400

<html><div style='background-color:'><DIV class=RTE>
<P>a session that explains things is much needed, and a FAQ for longer term use. 
Bret, count me in to help to get some ideas from the BC into this. I'll try to recruit a 
couple of members. ISPs may also be interested. </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>Marilyn<BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE style="PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #a0c6e5 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 
0px"><FONT style="FONT-SIZE: 11px; FONT-FAMILY: tahoma,sans-serif">
<HR color=#a0c6e5 SIZE=1>

<DIV></DIV>From:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>Ross Rader &lt;ross@xxxxxxxxxx&gt;</I><BR>Reply-To:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>ross@xxxxxxxxxx</I><BR>CC:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx</I><BR>Subject:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>Re: [gnso-dow123] Far off list topic, but still worth posting here</I><BR>Date:&nbsp;&nbsp;<I>Fri, 07 Apr 2006 16:32:41 -0400</I><BR>&gt;Bret Fausett wrote:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;First on the education, speaking on behalf of the ALAC, I think <BR>&gt;&gt;we'd be<BR>&gt;&gt;interested in having a larger conversation with the registrars and <BR>&gt;&gt;the<BR>&gt;&gt;registrant interests in the GSNO (Business, Non-Commercial) about <BR>&gt;&gt;ways to<BR>&gt;&gt;educate users about the use and deletion of domain names. Perhaps a <BR>&gt;&gt;FAQ<BR>&gt;&gt;could be created jointly and distributed on the ICANN web site, <BR>&gt;&gt;with<BR>&gt;&gt;customer-facing links at the registrar point of sale.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;There's only so much education that can take place inside ICANN, but <BR>&gt;I'd be happy to help make sure that everyone in the tent has the <BR>&gt;benefit of such a conversation. Outside of ICANN, these types of <BR>&gt;conversations need to happen at a variety of levels - between <BR>&gt;registrars and their customers, by consumer protection agencies and <BR>&gt;advocates, etc. This isn't a policy question per se, but certainly <BR>&gt;an area where we could use the assistance of staff to help us get <BR>&gt;the word out.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;<BR>&gt;&gt;Second, on the service, I think there's some sum that registrants <BR>&gt;&gt;would be<BR>&gt;&gt;willing to pay to kill a name forever. Worth considering.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;All registrars already offer this. All a registrant needs to do is <BR>&gt;pay their annual registration fee and point their domain name at a <BR>&gt;nameserver that has no record for the name. :)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;--<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;-rr<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; "Don't be too timid and squeamish about your <BR>&gt;actions.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;All life is an <BR>&gt;experiment.<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The more experiments you make the <BR>&gt;better."<BR>&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; - Ralph Waldo Emerson<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Contact Info:<BR>&gt;Ross Rader<BR>&gt;Director, Research &amp; Innovation<BR>&gt;Tucows Inc.<BR>&gt;c. 416.828.8783<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Get Started? http://start.tucows.com<BR>&gt;My Blogware: http://www.byte.org<BR></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE></div></html>

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy