ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] Formulation 1/Revised Formulation 2

  • To: gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] Formulation 1/Revised Formulation 2
  • From: KathrynKL@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 12:20:26 EDT

All:
As the Council debates a revised Formulation 2, I thought it might be useful
if we also shared ideas.  While many of TF members sit on the Council, many
others do not.  So here is my analysis of Formulation 1 and Revised Formulation
2.
Regards, Kathy
******************
Formulation 1 vs. Revised Formulation 2

ICANN has a very narrow technical mission. It is that defined mandate that
gives ICANN its legitimacy. ICANN is the technical coordinator of the domain
name system. Its mission does not extend to the use of a domain name.

Revised Formulation 2 includes "use" of a domain name for a very wide range
of purposes:  technical, networking, legal.  Use is a matter of discretion and
balance. What is posted on a website, what is sent in an email, what is
shared in a listserv all involve the use of a domain name under those
categories,
but far exceed the narrow bounds of ICANNâs mission.

Only Formulation 1 continues to keep the purpose of Whois within the narrow
technical scope of âissues related to theÂconfiguration of the records
associated with the domain name within a DNS nameserver.â This narrow use
directly
involves the registration of a domain name, its resolution, and technical
problems associated directly with DNS issues â powers clearly given to ICANN.

Revised Formulation 2 gives certain constituencies essentially unlimited
access to personal data for any purpose even remotely related to their work.
While the words âtechnicalâ and ânetworkingâ resonate ring in our ears,
it is an
established part of the history of the Whois TF that the Business and ISP
constituencies told the TF that these terms are meant to be extremely broad and
encompassing.  They basically involve any email, website posting, or other
interaction or transaction with the ISP or large online business.  ICANN never
received unlimited power to regulate all technical and networking activities
online, and it is a scope few would want it to have.

Further, revised formulation 2's term âLegal issues related to registration
or use of a gTLD domain nameâ is similarly undefined and unbounded.  This
broad
phrase includes just about any type of question or query an attorney has.
Attorneys are great at wordsmithing (I'm an attorney).  Even if our goal is to
harass, criticize or intimidate a domain name registrant (regarding political
or religious content on a website, listserv or email, for example), we
attorneys can phrase it as a "legal issue."

The abuse of attorneys overstating their case to access personal data was
seen in the US a few years ago.  A few years ago attorneys demanded the
personal
names/addresses behind chatroom identities alleging illegal conduct.  ISPs
handed over the personal data, but it turns out that in many cases, the
attorneys
were really trying to silence whistleblowers (people showing illegalities in
businesses or government contracts), stop complaints of workplace harassment,
or halt legitimate criticism of their company's products or services.

Now before an ISP in the US will disclose a chatroom identity, attorneys must
go to court in âJohn Doeâ suits. They must first demonstrate to the court
that they have solid evidence of illegality, a true cause of action under law,
and clear evidence that the chatroom identity they seek is really the one
involved in alleged unlawful conduct. No more fishing expeditions or
intimidation
of speakers.

Telus, in the Building Bridges Conference, said that it also follows strict
procedures in Canada before disclosing chatroom identities (or email
identities), but that those who need this information for legitimate law
enforcement and
other purposes will get it.

Formulation 1 provides the best balance of privacy and access to data within
the narrow technical bounds of ICANN.   Whois data will be collected for
narrow technical purposes, consistent with the role and mission of ICANN.  Like
ISPs, registrars will have additional data regarding their registrants and
provide it consistent with law and due process.  It is a system that works well
for
.UK, .JP, .AU, and many other countries.  It will work well for gTLDs.