ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Nomination for Co- Chairs for TF

  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Nomination for Co- Chairs for TF
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 00:32:09 -0700

Marilyn Cade wrote:
> Is there a second to this nomination of co-chairs?

Who made the decision made to move from electing a chair to electing co-chairs? With due respect to Steve and Kathryn, I don't believe that this is a legitimate proposal.

The bylaws are clear in that they instruct the Task Force to select a single chair - not two.

"c. Appointment of Task Force Chair. The Staff Manager shall convene the first meeting of the task force within five (5) calendar days after receipt of the Charter. At the initial meeting, the task force members will, among other things, vote to appoint a task force chair. The chair shall be responsible for organizing the activities of the task force, including compiling the Task Force Report. The chair of a task force need not be a member of the Council."

If it is the will of the task force to ignore the instructions of the bylaws and pursue the election of two chairs, I would like to request first that we seek instruction from our policy support staff, the GNSO Council and ICANN's legal counsel regarding the legitimacy of such a move. We must ensure the legitimacy of our processes so that we can preserve the credibility of our output. I believe that this proposal undermines our efforts and we should not proceed in this direction without receiving further guidance.

If we are indeed electing two chairs, I will be nominating Paul Stahura and Tom Keller. In the meantime, I don't believe that there is a legitimate process in place to elect two chairs, therefore my nomination of Avri stands.

If Kathryn and Steve wish to stand separately as individual candidates for a sole chair, I would be happy to consider their candidacy.

--

                       -rr

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Contact Info: Ross Rader Director, Research & Innovation Tucows Inc. c. 416.828.8783

Get Started? http://start.tucows.com
My Blogware: http://www.byte.org