ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

RE: [gnso-dow123] NCUC Procedural Proposal - recirculated

  • To: "Ross Rader" <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-dow123] NCUC Procedural Proposal - recirculated
  • From: "Steve Metalitz" <metalitz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 10:51:10 -0400

I understand it is done; my question is whether it is consistent with
the RAA.  As I seem to recall someone saying in other task force
postings, just because something is useful or convenient does not
necessarily mean it is legal.

Ross's posting and Tom's seem to read "its registration fee" in this
provision as referring to the fee the registrar must pay the registry.
But that fee is called (in the registry agreement -- at least in Section
4.1 of the .org agreement) the "registry operator fee."  More
importantly, payment of that fee is clearly the obligation of the
registrar, whether the registrant contributes to it or not.  The
registrant does not owe this fee to the registry, so it does not make
sense to say that the registrar would "guarantee" the registrant's
payment of it.

The more logical reading of this provision is that "its registration
fee" refers to the fee the registrar charges the registrant.  That may
be more or less than the "registry operator fee" that the registrar must
pay the registry. The question is whether the registration fee may be
zero. The second sentence of 3.7.4 seems inconsistent with a zero fee:

"For this purpose, a charge to a credit card, general commercial terms
extended to creditworthy customers, or other mechanism providing a
similar level of assurance of payment shall be sufficient, provided that
the obligation to pay becomes final and non-revocable by the Registered
Name Holder upon activation of the registration."

At the time this provision was first included in the RAA (1999) it was
viewed as a significant protection against speculative or abusive
registration.  If the registrar had to get reasonable assurance of
payment before the registration took effect, it also made it more likely
that it would know who the registrant was.  Certainly this has some
relevance to the issue of accuracy of Whois data.

Steve