ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] Alternative proposal re Whois

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] Alternative proposal re Whois
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 11:52:18 -0400

Avri Doria wrote:

On 30 sep 2006, at 10.40, Ross Rader wrote:

Its quite clear that ICANN policy is made in DC, by ICANN staff, at the request of the USG.

I tend to agree and must admit i am very much saddened at this turn of events. I know some who support the laissez faire status quo whois standard will be quite pleased, but i think that the long term implications are quite threatening.

So, do we role up the TF with a quick one line report saying that that events have overcome the policy process?

Or more accurately, that "events" have overcome everything that was once ICANN. It certainly makes for a much easier reform process. We'd just need to model around this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppet_state and call it a day.

-r