ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

Re: [gnso-dow123] .NL material re "purpose"

  • To: "Denise Michel" <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx>, "Steven Metalitz" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-dow123] .NL material re "purpose"
  • From: "Milton Mueller" <mueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 19:15:43 -0400

>>> "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx> 10/9/2006 12:23 PM >>>
> There are legitimate reasons for keeping certain (domain
registration)
>data accessible to the public. There is both national and
international
>consensus about this.

Don't you love it when some DNS administrator in a small country
declares that there is global consensus on something? I wonder what his
sample size was. I don't recall being interviewed by him.

Most of the purposes listed are not very convincing or valid, imho. To
wit:

>The reasons for publication are:
>the solving of technical problems relating to the operation of the
>internet;
>
>to enable applications for (not yet registered) .nl domain names;

You don't need to know any personal data to do this.

>to protect intellectual property rights;
>to prevent and fight illegal and harmful content on the internet.

Both of these are potentially worthy purposes for SOME agency, but
neither has any relationship to ICANN's mission. And the second purpose
has a rather glaring "first amendment" problem in the U.S., as content
that is deemed "harmful" but not illegal cannot be censored there.

Do we want ICANN to be in the content regulation business? This is a
perfect example of the kind of mission creep an overly broad definition
of purpose brings.