ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-dow123]

[gnso-dow123] .NL material re "purpose"

  • To: "Denise Michel" <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-dow123] .NL material re "purpose"
  • From: "Metalitz, Steven" <met@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 09:23:05 -0700

As promised toward the end of our call, here is the excerpt from the .NL
registry's conclusion about the purpose for which the Whois data they
collect (very similar to current gTLD policy) is made available.  This
would be consistent with the "special circumstances" proposal and may be
relevant to some of our TF's terms of reference.

Steve Metalitz

 There are legitimate reasons for keeping certain (domain registration)
data accessible to the public. There is both national and international
consensus about this. The reasons for publication are:
the solving of technical problems relating to the operation of the
internet;

to enable applications for (not yet registered) .nl domain names;

to protect intellectual property rights;

to prevent and fight illegal and harmful content on the internet.

Source:  http://www.sidn.nl/ace.php/c,728,3447