On 01/15/2005 07:27:31 Steve Bellovin wrote the following to NANOG:

/panix.com has apparently been hijacked. It's now associated with a
   different registrar -- melbourneit instead of dotster -- and a
   different owner. Can anyone suggest appropriate people to contact to
   try to get this straightened out?
   /

Shortly thereafter I replied:

/I've forwared to Bruce Tonkin, who I know personally, at MIT, and
   Cliff Page, who I don't know as well, at Dotster, Steve's note.
   These are the RC reps for each registrar.
   /

The "harm" to me was that any mail I usually send to users@xxxxxxxxx wouldn't go where I expected. Note, I am not the Registrant of the domain name Panix.COM. The "harm" to users of panix.com was that, however they got internet access, and presumably some actually got access (dhcp provisioned, radius authenticated, yata yata), what they got when they got to panix.com wasn't what they expected. Note, Steve, a random Panix.COM user, is also not the Registrant of the domain name Panix.COM. The "harm" to the Registrant of Panix.COM is another kettle of fish. Loss of business, and probably loss of consortium too.

Failing to distinguish between me, Steve, and the hapless down-for-a-day operator of one of the oldest ISPs in the world and our interests is not useful.

Failing to distinguish between the harms to the hapless down-for-a-day operator of one of the oldest ISPs in the world, from loss, temporary, long term, or permanent, of the domain name asset, and all the other harms common to ISPs, to all other assets, from spam over their upstreams to backhoes through their upstreams, is also not useful.

Or rather, conflating the sum of all harms serves some purpose I don't particularly share. See also my note "Sunday Benefits".

It is clear that Dave and Joe and Marc have one model for "who is harmed" and "how are they harmed", to use Mike's effort at synthesis, and I have another, and there isn't a lot a synthesis can do with the claim that "A is true" and the claim that "A is false", except to examine the basis for the evaluation of each claim (for which each claim is correct), and discard the basis for evaluation that leads to a conclusion inconsistent with the goal of the Working Group -- something consistent with the GNSO process, which as I mentioned in "Sunday Benefits", has to be consistent with this -- "ICANN doesn’t control content on the Internet. It cannot stop spam and it doesn’t deal with access to the Internet" -- so it seems likely to me, subject of course to eventual disproof, that "harms" are primarily defined by stakeholder relationship to other stakeholders within the multi-stakeholder institution.

Fundamentally, the value of a registration is six bucks and change, and I'm guessing that a higher return on attack investment is available targeting buyers of erectile dysfunction remedies, so Registrants qua Registrants, won't be harmed by "fast flux" until erectile dysfunction is as prevalent as polio or small pox, and every other higher ROI target is also exhausted, or the value of a registration is bumped up a bunch. At that point "fast flux" may be exploited to capture the value of registrations, and harm Registrants qua Registrants, and therefore, harm Registrars qua Registrars, and therefore, harm Registries qua Registries. If "fast flux" is being used to capture the value of trademarks or RIR allocations, distinctly from all other means used to try and capture those values, I don't know about it.

As before, my goal is to try and get a better understanding, even if just for my self, of what the harms are, and what they are not. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind that has already come to some other conclusions I haven't learned to share.

Eric

Mike O'Connor wrote:
At 09:07 AM 7/21/2008, Eric Brunner-Williams wrote:

Dave Piscitello wrote:
Eric,

I think you have taken a very limited view of harm.

Correct.

I think Eric gets the "brevity" award of the day. :-)

If I might take the liberty of (perhaps over) summarizing the positions (and bugging you all again with a reference to the Risk Management model, so much for my promise on the phone call)...

Dave and Marc are focusing on the first few steps in the Assessment process.

- What are the targets? (who is harmed?)
- What are the threats? (how are they harmed?)
- What are the vulnerabilities (what are the attack modes?)

Eric is focusing on the last few steps.

- What's the likelihood?
- What's the impact?

I think these two lines of analysis can coexist -- we need to know all these things. And from a combination of all those pieces of knowledge, we can answer the punchline question.

- What's the risk?

If I could offer a suggestion -- be careful of combining these topics prematurely. Joe, your list of harms is fine. But the leap to an assessment of risk is premature. Until we have better data about the "likelihood" and "impact" questions, we don't have the underpinnings to make a choice about what to do.

What is that choice? That's the middle "Mitigate" layer in that 3-layer model. Once we know the nature, likelihood and impact, we can recommend a response. In general our choices are as follows.

- Accept the risk (this is so improbable, the impact is small, we'll just put up with it)
- Avoid the risk (let's figure out preventative measures)
- Limit the risk (let's get proactive -- rapid response, legal/policy changes, hedging) - Transfer the risk (let's hand this risk to somebody else -- eg insurance)

Here again, some of this conversation is blending topics between Assessment (what's the risk?) and Mitigation (what we gonna do?), which can tie us in knots if we're not careful.

So what? So, everybody on this thread is saying useful stuff. But we need to put that stuff in buckets, otherwise we'll wind up with muddy waters (as close as i could get to a "day" reference on this Stormy Monday).

my $.02

m

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy