ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed Recommendation and FAQ, v1 -- Chartering

  • To: <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Proposed Recommendation and FAQ, v1 -- Chartering
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 17:50:46 -0500

At 12:13 PM 8/12/2008, Greg Aaron wrote:
Dear Mike:

I guess I'm looking to you for the plan of how the group will deliver a
report for October as per charter, in addition to seeing how we can revise
the charter for past October.  Energy needs to be expended on both the
former and the latter.

Yep, which really means that we need to deliver a report within the next week or 10 days, given the 30-day Constituency-review cycle that we have to adhere to.

I'm completely stumped on how to pull a "answers to the questions" report out of our hat -- for all the reasons that we've discussed on the list. One approach might be for each WG member to write *their* answers to the questions, then we smash that together and report it out. Would others be up for this kind of approach? I am overwhelmed by the idea of trying to summarize 1000+ emails, especially given that our opinions have moved a bit during the conversation.

Missing tools may be useful, but are not a panacea.  I think the charter
already addresses many categories you list below, and gives us some freedom
to define things as we see fit.

Here are your categories, and my notes about them:

Problem Statement: The existing charter allows us to define the problem
(which we have spent a lot of time on).

Could we go so far as to redefine-away Fast Flux (a technique) to address the broader "find ways that the ICANN community can, within it's purview, help reduce fraud and abuse on the Internet by identifying measures that can be taken while protecting the rights of lawful users and stakeholders." ?

Stake Holders: the charter asks us who is affected and how.  All GNSO
stakeholders are represented.

I could see leaving the next phase (say, Assess Need) within GNSO, but reach out to other Constituencies who wish to participate. Would that work?

Scope, Size, and Perspective: The GNSO is basically asking us to define this
for them.  We can say what we know so far, and what needs more work.

Agreed.

Preferred Problem-Solving Approach: Again, the GNSO is basically asking us
to define this.  Also, the WG is not necessarily tasked with finding a
solution or solutions at this time.  Approach is for us to define within the
general WG guidelines that were given -- consensus, consideration of
constituency statements, etc.

I could see issuing a report that defines the charter for the next (Needs Assessment) phase, but it would be sketchy, given the time we have remaining. Or, we could recommend that the next phase be a "chartering" phase that would go into more depth. Preferences, folks?

Goals & Objectives: The charter asks us to answer 10 questions to the best
of our ability.  Any unknowns or suggestions may be stated, and that's fine
to do.

I'm ok with making the attempt -- but I need help figuring out the "how" of it, given the dispersion we've got in our respective answers right now.

Critical Success Factors: this perhaps assumes too much and gets ahead of
things.  We should let the process proceed and not assume any conclusion is
"right."

Eh? Just don't follow this comment. I agree -- don't presuppose the solution, but a critical success factors devolve to answering the question "what do we need to do *well* in order for this project to succeed?" For example one critical success factor that I'd like to focus on for the next phase is "what's the mechanism to get opinions to converge rather than diverge?"

Readiness: we have already been given instruction to state what we know,
what we don't, and in what areas there is disagreement.  You bring up the
issue of GNSO scope.

I could write this -- but most of the answers would be "things we don't know right now."

Resource Requirements: state it in our report, sure.  We have plenty of
access to experts already, though, and are free to get more.

I think it's more the time-resource issue. This one certainly soaked up a lot more hours for me than I was anticipating. And likely for others. One thing that would be useful for the next phase would be to do a better job of laying out the tasks, time-estimates and target-dates before we started so that folks could decide whether they can commit.

For example, my time-availability is going to fall to zero on next Wednesday night as I prepare to head into the hospital for some pretty substantial surgery -- and I'll be out of commission for a while (dang body -- it's outside the 55 year warrantee period). I wasn't anticipating this, but there you go. So I'm trying really hard to get as close to a report as we can before then. It would be good to have a better estimate of these kinds of things so that people aren't caught by surprise.

All best,
--Greg

Thanks Greg, let's keep polishing.

People, I'd like to ask whether you could each put together your summary answers to the questions in the next day or two. I will work on a draft of the "next phase" charter and we'll see where we're at on Friday. Sound like a plan?