ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08] The plan for the rest of the week, and an assignment that is due by mid-day tomorrow

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] The plan for the rest of the week, and an assignment that is due by mid-day tomorrow
  • From: "Mike O'Connor" <mike@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:55:25 -0500

I have digested the suggestions, on and off list, and have come up with the following approach to the next 3 days.

1) Each of us will write our own version of the Answers to the Questions -- these are due by 15:00 UTC Thursday (same time as our conference call). I will pull a 1st-draft summary identifying the major positions. We can use that draft during the Friday call as the basis for selecting a rough-consensus option for each question, plus alternate positions.

2) Meanwhile, I will draft two preliminary charters for next-step projects (one a continuation of this effort, the other based on the broader Proposal which I floated earlier this week), which we can also review during the phone call. Warning: neither will be framed as formal PDPs -- one will be a research project aimed at fleshing out the definition and prevalence of Fast Flux, the other will be the first phase of the broader Proposal. We will ask for Constituency input on which course (if any) they prefer.

3) People can submit drafts, or place-holders, for Appendices to the report. These can range from case studies (Randy's working on a cool one), to algorithms, to discussions related topics. Final versions of the Appendices are due by 15:00 UTC next Wednesday.

4) Somebody will volunteer to run the phone call a week from Friday (I'll be on the call, but recovering from surgery and not up to running a call) at which point we will finalize our draft Interim Report and kick it out for Round-2 Constituency Review.

5) We will ask for a short extension in order to accommodate this 2-week slip in our schedule.

Commentary;

1) Prepare your versions of "the answers"

There is consensus that we should report out the answers we have at this point, even though we haven't been able to arrive at consensus on what they are.

We have all learned a lot over the last month. Please reflect on the conversation we've had, and write brief answers that summarizes what you've learned and what you think your constituency can support. The only Round-1 Constituency Input I've seen is from the Registry Constituency -- that's a great example to use. Try not to stake out extreme positions -- accommodate your fellow WG members' views if you can.

A request. By "brief" I mean brief. If you write 2000 words, you're not likely to see your words in the draft. Please edit your drafts before submitting them.

You can submit your answers to the list, or to me directly. But do *NOT* re-ignite our various debates by responding to somebody's answers if they're posted on the list. Anybody who does runs the risk of incurring the Wrath of the Chair. We are done with the debating-society phase of this working group.

Same rules apply as Round-1 -- you don't have to answer every question, but this is your chance to influence the draft. I will "clump" them into as many positions as are needed to summarize the various points of view and we will see if we can come to rough-consensus around one for each question during the phone call.

2) I will prepare draft charters

Not much to say here. Except that I am going to force the PDP process issue a little by framing these as projects rather than PDPs. They may contain a PDP as a review/approval component.

3) Appendices

A lot of us took a lot of time framing certain emails on the list. Review your posts and see if some of them should be attached to the report as Appendices. My inclination is to include them with bylines.

4) Phone-call leader

As you know, running a meeting is a hard job and a person should avoid doing that when they're not at their peak. I'm going to be recovering from surgery (the day before) and will likely be way way below par. So we need a meeting-runner. The volunteer will be rewarded with a gold star for running the meeting and taking us across the finish line.

5) Two-week extension

We will have slipped about 2 weeks from the posted schedule, so I will work through Mike R to request an extension from the Council. I have no appetite for asking for a longer extension to continue the debate -- note, if you argue this point I'm likely to perceive that you're volunteering to take up the Chair mantle in my place. :-)

That's it folks. A little push for you over the next 24 hours, plus a little push for me over the next 48, and I hope we'll be there.

Thanks!

mikey

voice: 651-647-6109
fax: 866-280-2356