ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Mannheim score concerns (minority view)

  • To: "gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx" <gnso-ff-pdp-May08@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Mannheim score concerns (minority view)
  • From: "George Kirikos" <fastflux@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 12:56:14 -0400

Hello,

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 12:46 PM, Greg Aaron wrote:
> In general, responders (the good guys) should always feel free to keep their
> exact methods or algorithms closely held, so the bad guys don't know them.
> That's common security practice.

I agree. However, when those methods/algorithms are closely held,
there needs to be a high level of human involvement or a level of
bonding, to prevent abuse (and false positives).

We spoke about an acceptable level of false positives in today's call
a little bit. It might not be politically correct to say so, but
there's also an acceptable level of crime in this world -- it's the
price we pay to not live in a police state.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
www.LEAP.com