ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-ff-pdp-may08]

RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Possible minority view?

  • To: <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <dave.piscitello@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-ff-pdp-may08] Possible minority view?
  • From: "Greg Aaron" <gaaron@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 13:03:44 -0400

I politely disagree with Joe.  I think the two relevant criteria were
established, which were:

A) UltraReach met the technical definition of fast-flux.
Its domains were rapidly and repeatedly changing A records as observed by
making DNS queries.  Also met many additional criteria, such as being on
were on low TTLs and moving across diverse ASNs.  There seems to have been
some proxying going on underneath, but that doesn't negate the basics.  A
gray area was whether some or all UltraReach nodes were compromised.  We
don't know.  Which makes it an interesting example of the issues surrounding
false-positives and intent.  Understanding what was going on there, to the
extent we do know, required some world-class investigation.

B) UltraReach is a speech organization, with a public history.  (Setting
aside their methods and politics, which we are not judging.)

I think the main thrust stands, which is that if you create a solution that
targets a technical implementation, you're affecting everyone who uses that
technique or technology.  UltraReach is an example of one such entity
observed in the wild, and such entities are potential victims of unintended
consequences.

All best,
--Greg