ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-geo-dg]

RE: [gnso-geo-dg] Principles for ICANN Region discussion

  • To: gnso-geo-dg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-geo-dg] Principles for ICANN Region discussion
  • From: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 07:06:26 -0700

Philip, I see your point. What I am getting at is the purpose of the
geographic regions, and perhaps I am off base on what is intended. To
date, it is a system that makes things look good, but it isn't really
providing much else. ICANN policies don't really have geographical
implications. They do have geo-political, cultural, public policy, etc.
implications. So it seems to me that to some extent the geo-political
and cultural elements do need to be considered in order to have regional
designations that reflect reality. Drawing a circle around various areas
on a map doesn't do it.

That said, I have no problem dropping my principle 2 below.

Tim