ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idn-wg]

Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Comments on notes of 30 Jan

  • To: gnso-idn-wg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idn-wg] Comments on notes of 30 Jan
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 00:36:56 -0500

Hi,

I was arguing that as far as I know, countries had no international jurisdiction over scripts and alphabets (though they may claim them) and that ICANN should not get involved in trying to define such a 'right' and thus giving countries an enhanced ability to prohibit various strings, e.g. censure, in their chosen script or language.

I think the issue of business rights that are tied up in trademarks law and their applicability to DNS labels (or the punycode encoding of that label) is a different and complex issue. Certainly there does appear to be a local (for some definition of local) right (for some definition of right) of trademarks that is occasionally expanded by treaty and bi/multilateral agreement and is being applied to labels. And yes, it does make sense to have the discussion of what degree, if any, of privilege this gives mark holders over other rights holders in various jurisdictions to the new Working Group on "Protecting the rights of others". I look forward to discussing it there.

a.