ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

IDNG draft motion [RE: [gnso-idng] IDNG WG Charter]

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: IDNG draft motion [RE: [gnso-idng] IDNG WG Charter]
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 12:06:00 +0800

Please see attached revised draft IDNG WG charter, incorporating the suggested
edits.

Also below is a revised draft motion for consideration (basically, did not
change the "whereas" section from previous draft, but suggesting a simple
resolution to for a GNSO WG to start discussing the item):

WHEREAS:

The ICANN community has been discussing issues related to IDN and IDN TLDs
since 2000, and the ICANN board as early as September 2000 recognized "that it
is important that the Internet evolve to be more accessible to those who do not
use the ASCII character set";

There is expressed demand from the community, especially from language
communities around the world who do not use English or a Latin based script as
a primary language, including the CJK (Chinese Japanese Korean) communities and
the right-to-left directional script communities (e.g. Arabic, Hebrew, Persian,
etc.), for advancing the introduction of Internationalized Top-Level Domains
(IDN TLDs);

GNSO IDN WG successfully completed its outcomes report in March 2007 and the
GNSO Council approved the incorporation of its findings in the GNSO Final
Report on the Introduction of New gTLDs in September 2007, describing policy
requirements for the introduction of IDN gTLDs;

The community observes the successful development of the IDN ccTLD Fast Track
based on the IDNC WG recommendations, and the ongoing progress for the
Implementation of the IDN ccTLD Fast Track Process;

The implementation of the New gTLD process is ongoing and the schedule and
development of the implementation should continue;

GNSO Council had made comments in response to the ccNSO-GAC Issues Report on
IDN Issues, as well as in its comments on the IDNC WG Final Report expressed
that “the introduction of IDN gTLDs or IDN ccTLDs should not be delayed because
of lack of readiness of one category, but if they are not introduced at the
same time, steps should be taken so that neither category is advantaged or
disadvantaged, and procedures should be developed to avoid possible conflicts”;

GNSO Council made a resolution in January 2009 to assert that “the GNSO Council
strongly believes that neither the New gTLD or ccTLD fast track process should
result in IDN TLDs in the root before the other unless both the GNSO and ccNSO
so agree”;

RESOLVED:

The GNSO will initiate an IDN gTLD Working Group (IDNG) based on the proposed
charter.

Edmon