ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Draft Motion and Charter [RE: [gnso-idng] Joint IDN WG (JIG)]

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Draft Motion and Charter [RE: [gnso-idng] Joint IDN WG (JIG)]
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 11:00:39 +0800

See attached revised charter Draft3, with the following changes:
- incorporated suggestions by Chuck
- added feedback from ccNSO to add emphasis that ongoing implementation work
should not wait for reports from the JIG
- added that ICANN should provide some staff support to the JIG

Here also is a draft of the motion which I hope to put forward in the coming
council meeting:

WHEREAS

GNSO IDN WG successfully completed its outcomes report in March 2007 and the
GNSO Council approved the incorporation of its findings in the GNSO Final
Report on the Introduction of New gTLDs in September 2007, describing policy
requirements for the introduction of IDN gTLDs;

The Board Proposal from the IDNC WG was completed in June 2008, describing
the IDN ccTLD Fast Track methodology;

Both the drafts and excerpts for the Applicant Guidebook for the New gTLD
process, and the drafts for the IDN ccTLD Fast Track Implementation Plan had
included implementation considerations for IDN TLDs; and,

Issues of common interest between new IDN ccTLDs and new IDN gTLDs can be
identified, including issues where implementation of IDN ccTLDs and IDN
gTLDs should be consistent (e.g. IDN Language Table implementation at the
root zone), and where implementation of IDN ccTLDs and IDN gTLDs are
inter-related (e.g. 2-Character length TLDs as a reservation for ccTLDs);

RESOLVED:

To create together with the ccNSO a Joint ccNSO-GNSO IDN Working Group (JIG)
be formed based on the Draft Charter.

Edmon