ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] restarting discussions on IDN gTLD

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] restarting discussions on IDN gTLD
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 21:11:42 -0500

Edmon, Chuck,

I continue to think that there is utility in communication between IDN implementing parties transcends contractual regimes, and this utility is not limited to consistent character set tables across multiple instances of each implemented script.

Additionally, the rate of change to the IANA root is a resource constraint which transcends contractual regimes.

It seems to me that a policy rational exists for IDN deployment taking priority over non-IDN deployment, co-existing with a policy rational for underserved populations taking priority over adequately served populations.

I'm puzzled by your #2, but that may be some of the DNAME vs NS discussion, applied to ASCII and non-ASCII labels offered by the same operator -- though there was discussion of the equivalent between the four CDNC members back in 2001, so cooperation, a kind of "mirroring" was considered between distinct registry operators, for SC/TC management reasons.

Eric