ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] restarting discussions on IDN gTLD

  • To: <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] restarting discussions on IDN gTLD
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:13:00 +0800

Hi Eric,

I also think there is utility in consistency, which speaks to user
expectations as well.

As for #2, no, I am not talking about DNAME.  I think separate NS
delegations at the root make sense.  What I am talking about is for example,
registries serving the same zonefile for their IDN TLDs or setup policies
where for example only the registrant for <DOMAINinIDN>.asciiTLD can
register <DOMAINinIDN>.idnTLD.

Hi Chuck,

What I mean is the following:
- If "asciiTLD" Registry applies for "idnTLD"
- And another Prospective Registry objects the application because it is
interested to apply for idnTLD OR idnTLD2 (which is similar to idnTLD)
- Then "asciiTLD" and "idnTLD" should be submitted to evaluation on whether
they should be considered confusingly similar
- If they are determined to be confusingly similar (especially in the
context of them being used as a TLD),
        - THEN it also means that in any case the Prospective Registry would
not be able to apply for it anyway in the new gTLD round
        - THEREFORE it is not unreasonable to conclude that "asciiTLD"
Registry application should continue to proceed
- If however they are determined NOT to be confusingly similar
        - THEN it means that it is possible for the Prospective Registry to
apply for the string in the new gTLD round
        - THEREFORE the both the applications from "asciiTLD" Registry and
the Prospective Registry should be considered
        - THEREFORE it will require evaluation of the Prospective Registry
application as well as potentially some contention resolution mechanism,
which means it needs to go into a different process.

Wonder if this makes sense...

Edmon