ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:36:44 -0500

It might be helpful if we think about what the problems of confusingly
similar strings are.  I think one of the main problems is that users may
associate X and Y with one another and hence have similar expectations
for both. Here are some of the things that they may expect for both
TLDs: 1) the registry operator is the same: 2) dispute resolution
mechanisms are the same; 3) registration processes are the same; 4)
Whois policy is the same (e.g., both thick or both thin); 5) variant
tables are the same; etc.

For discussion sake, let's assume that strings X and Y are deemed to be
confusingly similar. Let's also assume that X is an ASCII string and Y
is an IDN version of X.  If X and Y are provided by the same registry
operator as variations of one another with the purpose of providing a
ubiquitous experience, then it seems to me that most, if not all, of the
problems pertaining to the problem of associating X and Y are mitigated.
If that is correct, then the problems of their confusing similarity
disappear.  On the other hand, if X and Y are offered by different
registry operators, then the customer experiences diverge and
expectations are not met in various aspects of the TLDs.

So what is my conclusion?  It is not sufficient to just identify whether
two strings are confusingly similar to one another if we do not also
determine whether use of the two strings would actually result in the
problems for which the new gTLD confusingly similar recommendation were
meant to avoid.  In other words, if two confusingly similar strings do
not cause the problems we are trying to avoid, then disallowing them
would be unneccesary.

There are at least a couple ways of dealing with this: 1) allow an
exception for applicants to offer IDN variations of their strings, which
I believe is Edmon's approach; 2) provide guidelines to evaluators to
determine whether the problems of offering confusingly similar strings
are mitigated by the uses proposed.

Does this make sense?

Chuck