ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] rethinking IDN gTLDs
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:57:22 -0500

Gomes, Chuck wrote:
Here's what I think is a simpler way to make my point: If the problems
anticipated by offering confusingly similar strings are avoided, then
the restriction of offering the strings is unneccessary.

Agree.

We're not doing string comparison for the mathematical pleasure of describing the algebraic structure of semi-groups and their generators, but because some non-algebraic property exists outside of the universe of character repertoires and the strings generated over them, some property with a lawyer attached.

More broadly, some, if not all of the IRT issues are dealt with if the application is not considered in an artificial vacuum. There's not a lot more gained by lawyering in the abstract than from string manipulation in the abstract.

So, restrictions are context dependent, not absolute.

Eric