ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] Draft on String Similarity

  • To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] Draft on String Similarity
  • From: Eric Brunner-Williams <ebw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:58:26 -0500

Avri,

Thank you also.

1. Preference for Duck (Peking) and (various) meanings noted. The problem with "duck" is that it may not be important enough to read (see Stephane's comment), whereas "china" is one of those hot buttons.
Short and sweet or long and sour. Choices.

2. "First _for_some_ ..." noted. I share your view that the restriction is best made to visual (glyph) confusion, but ... that does expand the problem from the original "variants" question to things as unlike as Peking Duck and Mallard Duck, or "china" and "中国 " (chung guo).

And I don't know what the answer is for transliteration and homonym.

3. Preference for no proposed solution noted.

4. The UN ref is to things like this -- if the label for "africa" is Latin, then can there ever be a label for "africa" in Arabic? Rinse and repeat for Russian, Chinese, Arabic vs English, French, Spanish, aka "the Latins".

In the end, some areas of the world, some markets, will be English (or Arabic, or ...) only, so we'll have created exclusion as a principle, rather than inclusion.

Waiting on Chuck and Edmon, and of course this comes as a surprise to those not on the call.

Eric