ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:21:55 -0400

Hi,

Chuck: it is not for me to say what you understand.

And I am not sure I understand what you mean by 'same gTLD string in different
scripts" : i.e. transliteration, translation or something i cannot imagine yet.

Since I do not believe that 'confusing similarity'  should go beyond visual and
possibly aural similarity, i do not think we have any issue with gTLD strings
in different script that have similar meaning - and i do not believe there is
ever identity of meaning in translation so strings in different scripts cannot
be confusingly similar based on meaning.

I think the issue of transliteration, since I include for the possibility of
aural confusion,is  more complicated.

Is this what you understood me to be saying?

a.