ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:01:48 -0400

Avri,

Let me ask my question in a different way.

If MuseDoma applied for an IDN version of .museum, it seems to me that
it is possible that it could be disallowed because it could be
confusingly similar to the existing .museum gTLD.  I definitely do not
think that was the intent of the GNSO recommendation.  Similarly, if a
new gTLD applicant applied for an LDH gTLD and an IDN version of that
same LDH gTLD, I believe that the IDN version should not be disallowed
because of the confusingly similar restriction (recommendation 2).

Do you agree with my reasoning on the above?

Chuck