ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

Re: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council

  • To: gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 17:31:33 -0400

hi,

it all depends.
.museu (Catalan) might be confusing, but
whether

.musée (French),
 מוזיאון (Hebrew - really a transliteration) or
박물관 or 기념관 or 미술관 or 자료관 (variations in Korean provided by Google translate)

are, is more difficult to answer.

As I said before, I think these are matters for extended evaluation.  Though,
it does not seem that there is extended evaluation for failing the string
similarity test. But I may be wrong as I have not studied DAGv3 with an
applicant's eye yet.

I also think it is fine to open up a policy discussion on this issue because i
do agree that we know a lot more now about how complicated it can become then
we knew back then (and it is a mighty interesting topic).  But, if we open it
up for discussion, I think we need to open up the entire kettle of fish for
inspection and that may introduce dreaded delay.

I also think it is fine to leave this alone for round 1, see how the mechanism
works and use the second round as a way to fix things (the council's intent if
i remember correctly) and allow those who want multiple
strings-that-fail-similarity-but-are-under-the-same-registry to apply for them
in batches.

a.