ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[gnso-idng]

RE: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council

  • To: "Avri Doria" <avri@xxxxxxx>, <gnso-idng@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [gnso-idng] reporting back to the council
  • From: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 18:22:08 -0400

Thanks for the reply Avri.

I don't think that delay of the overall process is an option.  At the same
time, I believe that a simple clarifying statement from the GNSO Council could
be crafted on this issue.  It could be something along the lines of the
following: "Recommendation 2 of the GNSO new gTLD recommendations (restriction
of confusingly similar new gTLDs) was not intended to prevent an applicant from
applying for multiple IDN versions of the same gTLD, whether that gTLD is an
existing gTLD or a new gTLD."  I strongly believe that that is an accurate
statement regardless of how one defines confusingly similar.

Chuck